Resources specific to Down Syndrome I have found helpful.
The Global Down Syndrome Foundation is a public non-profit 501(c)(3) dedicated to significantly improving the lives of people with Down syndrome through Research, Medical Care, Education and Advocacy. Formally established in 2009, GLOBAL’s primary focus is to support the Linda Crnic Institute for Down Syndrome, the first academic home in the United States committed solely to research and medical care for people with Down syndrome. Since Down syndrome is the least-funded genetic condition in the United States, fundraising and government advocacy to correct the alarming disparity of national funding for people with Down syndrome is a major goal
The National Down Syndrome Society is the leading human rights organization for all individuals with Down syndrome.
The National Down Syndrome Society envisions a world in which all people with Down syndrome have the opportunity to enhance their quality of life, realize their life aspirations and become valued members of welcoming communities.
NADS is the oldest organization in the country serving individuals with Down syndrome and their families. It was founded in Chicago in 1961 by parents who chose to go against medical advice and raised their children with Down syndrome at home. Their pioneering efforts have made it easier for later generations of individuals with Down syndrome to be accepted by their families and communities, to develop their capabilities, and to work towards independence.
The National Association for Down Syndrome supports all persons with Down syndrome in achieving their full potential.
In fulfilling our mission, we will:
- Provide families with Down syndrome members with information and resources to enable them to access and evaluate appropriate services.
- Educate the public about Down syndrome.
- Address social policy issues and challenges facing the Down syndrome community.
- Facilitate and encourage active participation by self-advocates and families in the delivery of education, vocational, residential and other services for persons with Down syndrome.
- Parent Support
- Resource Referrals
- Public Awareness
- Self-Advocate Program
- More Than Down Syndrome Retreats
- Conferences & Seminars
- Public Speakers for Schools, Medical Professionals, and Community Organizations
Articles I have found helpful